Margaret Mead once said, “Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed, organized citizens can change the world; indeed it’s the only thing that ever has.” You are proving that right every day. The #BurmaBill is a reality. Now we need to keep up the pressure and get companies like Chevron (MOGE) and Harry Winston to stop funding the murderous military in Myanmar.
1. Keep the pressure up for the #BurmaBill
Your hard work paid off! The Burma Act of 2021 was finally introduced in both the Senate (S.2937) and the House (H.R.5497)! In the movie, Shawshank Redemption, Andy Dufresne writes the legislature every week asking for money for the prison library. When he gets some, ask him to stop sending letters. What does he do? He sends more!
Please keep the pressure up by letting your Senators and Representative know that you want them to cosponsor this important legislation. You can do that here.
If you would like to take part in a session to learn how to lobby Congress, check this out.
2. Join the global week of action to get Chevron & Total (MOGE) to stop funding the murderous military
We have partnered with #BloodMoneyMyanmar to put pressure on the oil and gas industry (MOGE) to stop funding the junta in Burma. Next week — October 25th through the 31st — events are happening all over the planet. You can learn more about that here. The Myanmar military gets about half of its funding from MOGE. Cutting this funding is crucial to ending their reign of terror. This is also fundamental to what No Business with Genocide strives to do.
Leave protest messages on the social media of Chevron and Total. Here’s a sample protest message for you to adapt and post.
I will boycott you until you stop the flow of money from the Yadana Project in Myanmar to the Burmese military junta.
- Like their Facebook pages and regularly post protest messages
- Follow Chevron on LinkedIn and send its employees protest messages through connection requests
- Post on their Instagram pages
- Call out Chevron on Twitter @Chevron
- Call out Total on Twitter @Total
Learn the truth about Chevron and Total in Myanmar here:
3. Save the date for action against Harry Winston (Swatch)
Nearly 90 percent of all the rubies in the world come from Myanmar. Harry Winston, which bills itself as the “Ultimate American Jeweler and Watchmaker.” If it is really that, why does it need to make money from #GenocideGems!
December 9, 2021, is World Genocide Day. We are planning a demonstration in New York City. If you are in the area, please consider coming out. If you are not in the area but would like to organize something in your city or town (or help in NYC), please email Alyson. We will put out more details as they become available. You can learn more about this here.
You can also:
- Sign and share our petition to Harry Winston and its parent company, Swatch.
- Make an appointment at a Harry Winston store and let them know how you feel about their sale of #GenocideGems.
- Post on their social media channels! Copy this message and adapt it as you wish. Add it as a comment on posts showcasing jewelry or watches on the Facebook and Instagram pages of Harry Winston and Swatch. You can use this message (adapt as you see fit). I refuse to buy your brands while Harry Winston (owned by Swatch) buys #GenocideGems from Myanmar that profit the Burmese military and its atrocities against the peoples of Myanmar.
4. Sign up for texts from the Campaign for a New Myanar
5. Honor and remember those who have made the ultimate sacrifice in Myanmar.
If you are an artist of any kind and have works you would like to include on the Remember and Rise; Vigil for Myanmar website, please go here. Please share those links with anyone you know who might be interested.